General Manager opportunities are in a variety of dynamic and profitable dealerships including import, luxury and domestic brands across the country. These stores offer aggressive compensation packages based on experience. Also, there are highly competitive benefits with an outstanding 401(k) that includes an employer match.
The automotive General Manager ensures the profitability of the dealership by overseeing the various departments which include variable operations (sales & financing), fixed operations (service & parts), and the business office (accounting & administration). Duties of the General Manager include, but are certainly not limited to, planning, motivating and coordinating the dealership’s management through leadership and solid business practices.
General Managers should have at least 3 years of dealership sales management in a supervisory position and a minimum of 5 years as a General Manager in a high volume dealership. Experience in other dealership departments is a plus. They must have strong leadership and organizational skills, and the ability to understand profit and loss statements and manage a large, diverse staff.
General Managers must also possess a strong communication skills to deal with customers, employees and vendors. General Managers are required to stay abreast of the federal, state, and local regulations affecting their operations and comply with them, including hazardous waste disposal and OSHA Right-to-Know regulations. Also they must provide the necessary training on regulations and ethical practices.
• Hiring all management positions, completing performance evaluations regularly and developing short and long-term goals for each department manager (includes administrative, sales, parts, collision centers and service departments)
• Planning and developing short and long-term goals and objectives annually, and submitting time projections to corporate management for approval
• Effectively communicating with the comptroller/office manager on a weekly basis to review departmental forecasts and ensure consistency with annual projections
• Paying close attention to daily operations, recommending and creating improved courses of action where necessary
• Explaining the policies and procedures of the dealership to all employees and following up with employees to ensure that these issues are understood and followed
• Providing dealership management with weekly reports on the financial condition of the dealership
• Overseeing the monthly financial statement to ensure it is complete, accurate and submitted on time to the management/dealership owners
• Coordinating with the business/administrative office to ensure that records and analyses are correctly maintained
• Creating and maintaining a good working relationship with lending institutions and manufacturer personnel
• Coordinating regular meetings with the managers of each department to ensure their profitability and efficiency
• Overseeing the hiring and training of all department managers
• Maintaining an enthusiastic attitude to build positive employee attitudes and morale
• Overseeing and maintaining compensation plans for all employees
• Creating cost-effective advertising programs and merchandising strategies for the dealership
• Focusing on any customer complaints that department managers are unable to rectify and taking the necessary steps to resolve these complaints
Qualifications (Education, Experience, Certifications, Licenses):
• Willing to accept full accountability for operational and financial performance
• Supervisory/management/leadership skills
• Strong knowledge of vehicle value/pricing trends
• Strong computer and Internet skills (multiple platforms)
• P & L experience
• Two years Finance and Insurance experience at a minimum
• Five years of progressively responsible customer service experience in a managerial role
• Financial analysis and reporting experience
• Strong knowledge of regulatory and compliance laws
• Strong communication, presentation and writing skills
• ADP Dealer Services Experience a plus
• Professional appearance and work ethic
• Self-motivated, goal oriented, and ability to work within a fast paced environment
• Current, valid driver’s license and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report (MVR)
*All potential employees must pass pre-employment testing including a background check and drug screen
• Fast paced work environment
• Paid training and development
• Career growth opportunities
• Medical and dental coverage
• Paid vacation
Apply if you’ve had experience in the following areas: Automotive GSM, CEO, Director, Used Car Manager, Service Manager, Manheim, AutoExchange, ADP, Regional Sales Manager, VP, President, Vice President, President, COO.